Tuesday, July 3, 2012

In Darkness - Review - 4/5 stars




I've recently watched some movies with heavy themes or that are just plane different than the norm. This being one of them. You may recall that this film was nominated last year for best foreign film. If you don't recall then let me remind you of the subject matter. Its the dramatization of one man's rescue of Jewish refugees in a Nazi-occupied Polish city. Where were they hiding you might ask? Well take a look at the poster. The sewers. I'm still blown away by how many of these types of stories we hear about. They always make me ask myself what would i do. Of course i'd like to think i'd save anyone i could but the pressure to turn in these Jews and the reward they would get and the consequences if you were caught make me also question myself. And thats what makes these stories so compelling. This is for mature audiences and is quite hard to watch at times. But that moment when the children are raised out of the sewers and see the light of day for the first time in a year and a half will move you to tears. This was a good movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment