Monday, January 7, 2013

The Impossible - 5/5 stars


The true story of a family's survival of the 2004 tsunami in Thailand. I honestly can't talk about this movie without getting a little emotional. It struck a chord with me that has lasted ever since i saw it. And might i say that had i been alone while watching it, i would have audibly boo-hoo'd all the way through it. I literally had to focus on eating popcorn as to not lose control and sob. The film was so effective with portraying devastation, struggle to survive, loss, hope and love.

I feel like it had so many ways in which it could have failed and didn't. It could have felt manipulative with cheesy overacted scenes but Ewan Mcgregor and Naomi Watts were simply incredible. They engrossed me in their characters and they played them with such realness that i was putting myself in their shoes. And the kids...WOW! Cutest children ever! I couldn't help but picture my nieces or nephews in that situation or myself and my siblings. Horrible!

While this film is very terribly traggic and it does a great job of showing the actual Tsunami devastation, the heart of the film is the displays of compassion, courage, and simple kindness. It truly is very uplifting at times. You can't help but think why do bad things happen to good people. While that is always a question on our minds, i think that after seeing this film i can't let their lives and that disaster be in vain. I feel like i can do a better job at loving and caring for others and remembering that the most important thing in life is our love for others and not our material possessions.

While i am still formulating my top 10 movies of the year, this one is looking like it will get top honors. It truly moved me. Was shot beautifully and made me think deeper than my myself.

Phew! i made it through this post without crying...barely.

No comments:

Post a Comment