Friday, September 18, 2015

Make It With Mason - Spell Books





__________________________________________________________________




When the leaves begin to change color and there is a crisp in the air, I can't help but get excited for Halloween. Lets be honest though. I'm thinking about Halloween all year long. Every once in a while I like to find a project that me and my friends can all do together. To kick off this season, I chose to to make Spell Books. They really are quite easy and took everyone about 3 hours to make their books from start to finish. There are many How To's on pinterest and the internet so I won't post a How To here.

Basically you get an old book, glue on objects or cut out shapes from cardboard or foam sheets to design the look. Then take a paper towel or napkin and using only a single ply portion of it, you glue it on over the cover, spine and back and on top of all your objects. Then spray paint it all black. Then using a dry brush technique, lightly brush on copper, gold or silver to get the raised areas to really pop! I love how different everyones turned out but how cool they all look together!







18 comments:

  1. Awesome books! Thanks for sharing! Fantastic idea for re-purposing old books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just wondering how to make a wood box look like a really old book so I could hide it among the other books in my collection. Just some random personal items I'd rather "hide in plain sight" so to speak..lol thanks for the how to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristine, I think I just responded to you on etsy. You for sure could make a wood box look like an old book. I didn't post a how to on this blog because there are a lot of instructions you can find just by googling it. Good luck! I hope it turns out great!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for a spooky (fun) idea to give candy on Halloween

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you sell any other of your books besides the spider one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. currently no but working on a "spells" one and hope to have it up soon.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the finished product so beautiful , your instructions seems simple enough for even me to follow. The Final product is so intriguing it just draws you're attention. I would like to give a personal touch to a few books in my collection.Thank you so very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fantastic! Really love the look and design!
    Btw- the ETSY.com link is no longer working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I sold out on Etsy. I'll take down the link. Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  8. How can I find the book of magic without magic

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these so much! I am very new to crafting this way (as in, I have never done anything like this), but I really want to try it out. Could you maybe help me with a little guidance on what words to use to search for a how-to? I wouldn't know where to begin in choosing what to search. Does this technique have a specific name? Or the "process"? Anything like that would be greatly appreciated. 🙏🏻 TIA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cyndi! Thanks for the compliment and reaching out. I would just search “spell books how to”. Not sure if this technique has a name but that should pull up you tubes or blogs for ya. I was mentioned in this you tube. Good luck!

    https://youtu.be/SEbnDAj0Jpo?si=u5X8YnktuBFjj79C

    ReplyDelete